We began reading to our daughter Reagan as soon as she was born, and books quickly became part of our bedtime routine. As soon as I sit in the glider in her room in the evening, she peeks at the shelf next to the chair to get a book. I have been a total bookworm since I was very young, so this makes me immensely happy to have a little baby bookworm following in my footsteps.
In the spirit of Friday Favorites, here are a few of our favorite stories to read before bedtime. Some of them are “night” themed, others are just books we happen to love to read before bed. *This post contains affiliate links, see our full disclosure here.
- I Love You Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt.
- Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman.
- Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. (This was a favorite of mine as a child and I quickly had the whole thing memorized.)
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff. The entire series of “If you give…” books by Numeroff have also been a favorite of mine for a long time. I also absolutely loved If You Give a Moose a Muffin.
- Little Owl’s Night by Divya Srinivasan.
- Llama Llama, Nighty Night by Anna Dewdney. This is probably the most read book at bedtime for us. It’s cute, it’s bedtime themed, and it’s not too long, so it keeps a sleepy babe’s attention all the way until the end.
- Night-Night, Forest Friends by Annie Bach.
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. Probably one of the more “classic” bedtime stories on our list, (and probably one that many parents are SO sick of) but who doesn’t remember reading this as a child?
- Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker.
- Roar of a Snore by Marsha Diane Arnold.
And here’s a little bonus grown-ups only bedtime story for the list. For those nights when you don’t think your kiddo will ever nod off, there is Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach. Sometimes you just need to laugh at yourself to move past the frustration of a stubborn, strong-willed baby. I promise, this will do the trick. Grab a glass of wine and check out some of the celebrity narrations on YouTube!
What bedtime stories are on repeat in your house? We love to add to our collection, so I would be so happy if you leave a comment with your favorites!